Coumadin Therapy Suite
Anticoagulants are commonly prescribed for a range of cardiac conditions. Heart Hospital of Lafayette's Coumadin Therapy Suite is committed to maximizing the benefit of anticoagulation therapy for our patients. Our caregivers are specially trained in anticoagulation therapy, and work closely with primary care providers to help patients manage Coumadin dosing and to reduce side effects and complications during therapy. Thin blood or thick blood, we can help get your body back to normal.Call Today! • (337) 470-1000
Anticoagulants, such as Coumadin, may be prescribed for
- Atrial fibrillation or flutter
- Deep Venous Thrombosis (DVT)
- Pulmonary embolism
- Heart valve replacement
Coumadin services are available to any adult taking oral anticoagulants. A referral form (hyperlink will allow access to HHL’s referral form) must be completed by a primary care provider and faxed to (337) 470-1408.
Anticoagulation Therapy – What to Expect
- Frequent blood tests, usually once a week, may be required until the correct dosage has been determined.
- After the dose has been regulated, tests will occur less frequently, although to ensure safety you must have your blood tested every four weeks.
- International normalized ratio (INR) blood tests are by appointment only.
- Test results are immediate, and your nurse will use these results to determine what dose of Coumadin you need to take and when to schedule your next INR test.
- Visits are quick, about 5-10 minutes.
- You will receive a dosage calendar to follow until your next visit.
- You are encouraged to discuss any Coumadin-related questions you have with your nurse.